If you haven't already submitted your event, click here. Also, stay tuned with all that is going on in the Hudson Valley with the Hudson River Valley Greenway and National Heritage Area newsletter!
- All Mandeville House Tours have been CANCELED.
- Olana's Mingled Flower Garden Tour will now be taking place on September 1st rather than September 21st.
- The Piermont Station Museum will be CLOSED September 8th.
- Sail Through Art History on September 15th has been CANCELED.
Great Wallkill River Race
Sojourner Truth Park
55 Plains Road
New Paltz, NY 12561
Region: Mid Hudson
- September 14, 2019, 10:00AM, There will be different heats, starting at staggered times. Depending on how many people register, the event will end between 1-3pm.
- Rain Date: September 15, 2019, 10:00AM
DetailsEvent Type Paddle Description A fun race to get people out on the Wallkill River, to enjoy its scenic beauty and the serenity of being on a flat water, slow moving river. Children are welcome with adult supervision. There will be different race categories, such as recreational kayak, canoe, racing kayak, or other craft. Racers will launch from Sojourner Truth Park in New Paltz and head downstream 0.5 mile to the River to Ridge trailhead and return to finish at the same starting point. Boat drop off begins anytime after 9am. Launching boats into the water begins at 10am. The race will start at 11am. All racers will begin at that time. Sponsoring Organization Wallkill River Watershed Alliance
RegistrationAdvance registration required.
$25 plus kayak rental
Additional InformationFlat water. 1 mile round trip. Half mile with the current, then turn around and half mile against the current.
Activities: There will be a mini festival at the end with prizes, live music, picnicking, some food available for purchase, and environmentally-oriented educational booths and activities for children. The event will end sometime between 1:00-2:00pm.
Additional Equipment Required: Boats and PFDs will be provided if reserved in advance for an extra fee of $10. Racers can bring their own kayak, canoe or other craft. PFDs are required. Bring lunch.
Event Duration (hours): 1 hour
Lunch Break: Yes
Bring your own lunch.
Not suitable for children under age 5.
Length (miles): 1
Boat: Boat provided.
Barrier Free or Wheelchar accessible? No